Amazon has over 2 million third-party sellers. It covers more than half of its sales. Hence there is a tremendous amount of competition among sellers of Amazon. This makes the feedback more valuable as it plays an important role in increasing the seller’s visibility on Amazon. Negative feedback on Amazon is nothing but a headache for a seller. Removing it becomes an important part to deal with.
Let us bring some important factors into consideration while dealing with Amazon’s negative feedback removal.
Introduction: What is negative feedback on Amazon?
Negative feedback as per Wikipedia is, “Negative feedback (or balancing feedback) occurs when some function of the output of a system, process, or mechanism is fed back in a manner that tends to reduce the fluctuations in the output, whether caused by changes in the input or by other disturbances”.
Or in other words, feedback that downgrades a system (say business) is called negative feedback.
Similarly, on Amazon, negative feedback ruins a successfully running business. Below is a snippet of feedback and its look-alikes.
After-effects of negative feedback
Without a heavenly rating, a seller can not buy a buyer’s trust. Since Amazon consists of ratings out of five,
- 4 and 5 are considered good or positive feedback
- 3 is considered neutral, and
- below 3 is a bad rating or negative feedback
Let us discuss some prospects of having neutral and or negative feedback.
Your chance of winning a buy box decreases. Buy box gives you exclusive rights to be more noticeable and offers more products once the customers subscribe to your buy box.
What is a buy box?
The buy box is a box on the product detail page that allows sellers’ products to be added simultaneously. To ascertain the winner of the buy box Amazon counts the overall reviews by customers to a seller. A product sold brings either loss or gain to the buy box seller score.
A good review buys you 100 points while negative feedback on Amazon pushes you for a loss of 500 points.
For the above-described buy box awarding system a seller with negative feedback has either very little or no chance of winning it.
Negative feedback could result in the loss of selling prerogatives on Amazon. As a seller performance meter, Amazon measures Order Defect Rate (ODR). As discussed earlier ratings 1 and 2 are considered negative feedback on Amazon. Any ODR above 1% is considered bad for a seller’s profile health. That means any seller that has more than 1% of negative feedback on Amazon can result in his or her loss of selling privileges.
What is ODR (Order Defect Rate)?
ODR is a percentage of seller’s products that have received negative feedback on Amazon. This is again a result of poor customer reactions to your list of products.
It is considered that neutral feedback on Amazon is also bad for a seller profile. Furthermore, Amazon does not measure an average seller’s 5-star rating. Rather, it counts positive ratings from the past 12 months.
Since Amazon considers 4 or 5-star as the only positive rating, 3-star works as “no good”.
How to remove negative feedback on Amazon?
Although removing negative feedback on Amazon is a complex process. However, we will discuss the most probable ways of removing negative feedback on Amazon.
Requesting removal of negative feedback on Amazon
If negative feedback on Amazon violates Amazon guidelines, a seller has the authority of requesting removal. Sometimes it is as easy as “checking buyers’ feedback”. Feedbacks that violate the guidelines on Amazon can be removed upon request.
Here is what Amazon considers an “absurd and obscene” comment. As per Amazon,
“Amazon reserves the right to remove feedback that isn’t directly related to the buying experience or violates one of our guidelines. If your comments include any of the following, your feedback is subject to removal:
- Promotional content: This includes anything of a promotional nature such as comments about or links to other merchants or websites.
- Obscene or abusive language: Please use helpful and appropriate language when participating in the Amazon Community.
- Personal information: You shouldn’t include information that identifies other Amazon.com visitors.
- Product reviews: It’s more appropriate to review products on the product detail page.
Note: For more information about leaving product reviews, go to Customer Reviews.”
FBA (Fulfilled By Amazon) sellers have the adroitness of auto removal while non-FBA sellers have to do it on their own.
How to remove negative feedback on Amazon?: For non-FBA sellers
Follow the below steps to remove negative feedback on Amazon (for non-FBA sellers only).
- Log into Amazon seller central.
- Click customers and orders from the left-hand side.
- Enter the booking ID and select the appropriate option.
- Fill up the form to remove negative feedback on Amazon.
Reaching out to the buyer: ‘DOs and DON’Ts’
If your request for the removal of negative feedback fails, contact the buyer. If you are polite enough, they might have a change of heart. Henceforth, let us commence on the DOs and DON’Ts of the strategy.
- Be timely with your approach while talking to the customers. As Amazon gives only 60 days to remove their negative feedback on Amazon.
- Furthermore, apologize to the customer saying sorry about the mishappening.
- Never offer an exchange of services or goods for the removal of negative feedback.
- Never rush while requesting the removal. Follow the process of apology, discussing a solution to the problem, and requesting the removal for creating the possibility. Go to the feedback manager page on seller central and talk to the customer.
A responsible seller: Replying to the negative feedback
Being a responsible seller never hurts i.e. it won’t waste your time. When it is clear that any of the strategies wouldn’t work reply to the customer’s feedback. At least, other buyers need to know that you made an effort.
Conclusion: It’s not the end of the world!
Although removing negative feedback on Amazon is a tough and complex task to do. But trying and losing might save you lessons for the future. It is never the end of the world if lost the case or trial.